In choosing a username for many social accounts, we can sometimes be too hasty. Over time, you may realize that this isn’t the name you wanted. There is also a possibility that the brand name you picked doesn’t match your current one. For whatever reason, you do not need to create a new account.
We will show you how to change your Twitch username for all versions of the app in this article.
How to Change Your User Name on Twitch Using a Browser (Chrome, Firefox)
Browsers can be used to access Twitch instead of downloading the dedicated app. By using the browser version, you do not have to depend on your platform. No matter what device you open in the process, as long as you are connected to the web, the process will be the same. Follow these steps to change your username in a browser:
- Open the Twitch website in your browser. In the address bar, type https://www.twitch.tv/.
- Mobile devices will default to the mobile version of the website if you are using a mobile browser. The mobile browser version of Twitch does not allow you to change your username. On the upper right corner of the screen, tap the three dots icon to switch to desktop mode.
- Tap on ‘Desktop site’ on the menu that appears, then return to the home page.
- Tap or click on your Profile Icon. Your screen should have this in the upper right corner.
- Click or tap Settings in the dropdown menu that appears.
- Click on ‘Profile’ in the Settings menu. It should be on the upper portion of the menu.
- Scroll down until you reach the Profile Settings section. To edit your username, click or tap on the edit button. It will look like a pencil.
- You will be asked to enter your new username in a new window. Click or tap on Update after typing it in.
- Passwords must be entered. Click or tap on Confirm once you have done so.
- You can now navigate out of this window after changing your username. The name change will be notified to you via email.
In order to change your username, your account must have a verified email address. Twitch will prompt you to verify your email address if your account does not meet these requirements.
How to Change Your User Name on a Windows, Mac, or Chromebook PC
With the desktop app, changing your username is practically the same as with the web browser version. You can change your Twitch username on a computer by following these steps:
- Open the Twitch desktop application on your computer.
- You need to log in to your account.
- Click on your profile icon in the app window. On the screen, it should be in the upper right corner.
- From the dropdown menu, select Settings.
- The Profile tab can be found in the Settings menu. You can click on it.
- You will find Profile Settings at the bottom of the page. To edit your username, click the edit icon.
- As with the web browser version, the next steps are similar. Click on Update after entering your desired new username. You will receive a confirmation message.
- Use the Twitch icon in the upper left corner to return to the home screen.
In order to proceed with the name change, you will need a verified email address. You will also need to enter a code that will be sent to your phone if you have enabled two-factor authentication.
How to Change Your User Name on Twitch on an Android Mobile Device
The Twitch mobile app allows you to edit a lot of your Profile settings, but you cannot change your username. To access Twitch, you’ll either have to use the desktop app or your phone’s web browser. The instructions are given either under the browser version or the desktop version.
How to Change Your User Name on Twitch on an iPhone
Unlike Android, the iPhone Twitch app does not allow you to change your username. You can either use a computer or your phone’s web browser to access Twitch. To change your username, follow the instructions in the desktop app or web version.
How to Change Your User Name on Twitch on the iPad
Only the viewing options differ between the iPhone and iPad versions of the Twitch mobile app. Mobile apps cannot change your username, so open the Twitch website using your mobile browser or use the desktop app. For the web or desktop app method, follow the instructions above.
The following are some of the most common questions asked whenever Twitch name changes are discussed.
Name changes on Twitch are updated immediately. As soon as you click or tap the Update button at the end of the name change process, your username will change.
In Twitch chat, you can use name colors to differentiate your messages. Changing this can be done either through the desktop app or through the desktop web browser. You will need either a web browser or a computer if you’re using the Twitch mobile app. You can change your name color by following these steps:
1. Type “/color” followed by the color name into the chat box while it is open.
2. Non-Twitch Turbo users can choose from Blue, Green, Red, DodgerBlue, CadetBlue, BlueViolet, Coral, YellowGreen, SpringGreen, SeaGreen, OrangeRed, HotPink, GoldenRod, Firebrick, and Chocolate. Twitch Turbo users can use any color hex value they want.
It is possible to change your name once every 60 days. The URL of your Twitch page will change automatically when you change your username, so this isn’t recommended. Changing your URL won’t automatically redirect your old subscribers to your new one, so you’ll either have to notify them or provide a redirect link.
For about six months, Twitch will hold any unused names out of the available name pool. The name will be available for use after six months. They will either have to guess your old name by chance or be informed of its availability specifically since Twitch doesn’t announce the availability of old usernames.
In addition, banned names are permanently removed from the name pool. These will not be recycled or made available to anyone else.
Technically, yes, but not right away. It is not possible to switch back to an old name after undergoing a name change. The name pool will be available again 60 days after the last name change or six months after the last name change.
After six months, if the name is still free and you haven’t changed your name for 60 days, you can take back your old name. It’s always a good idea to think twice before undergoing this inconvenient process.
It depends. Twitch does not control the development of third-party apps, so you’ll have to ask them if they support name changes. This information is usually available on the profile pages of most developers. To get clarification, post a question in their forums if they don’t.
Not at all. Twitch ban timers are account-based, not name-based. You can’t evade the ban even if you change your account name. If you have been permanently banned, you will need to wait for your ban to expire or make a new account.
A Simple Process
Knowing how to change your Twitch username is handy whether you are trying to establish your brand or just want a new name. Once you know the steps, the process is actually quite simple. There is no option to restore old names, and there are long wait times for each change. Be careful when changing your name or you may end up waiting quite a while to fix your mistake.
Have you ever changed your Twitch name? Are there any other ways to change your Twitch username? Comment below with your thoughts.